Tuesday 4 December 2012

My Thoughts: Hunger by Michael Grant


"It's been three months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.
food ran out weeks ago and starvation is imminent. Meanwhile, the normal teens have grown resentful of the kids with powers. And when an unthinkable tragedy occurs, chaos descends upon the town. There is no longer right and wrong. Each kid is out for himself and even the good ones turn murderous. But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them. The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry."-Amazon
My Thoughts
***Warning***Hunger may cause severe cases of, vermiphobiaPediophobiaLachanophobia and an  inexplicable fear of bleary eyed-near cannibalistic children. Contact your local librarian before taking out Hunger. The author of this book is not responsible for any fears created or nurtured by Hunger. 
That  mon amie is the message I'd hoped I would see. Before I read Hunger.
In fact, I suppose I've developed a specific fear of carnivorous parasitic flesh eating worms. yep, those things. So I suppose if you you google "worms" and the images you see don't scar you for life, then I assume you'll be OK with reading the first and middle chapters of Hunger. Worms aside I really do feel that hunger was kinda a pagefiller book, it wasn't really necessary  in the grand scheme of things. It did establish some very key characteristics that were unnecessary series, however that could have been done in a more..er... entertaining way. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the gone series, but writing a book about food shortages and wild feral kids is a wee bit plain. It needed something extra to it, a slightly more complex plot  that I couldn't predict. As always it was still a good book, I again loved the characters-especially the way Michael grant highlighted both the intelligence and idiocy of kids. (Example One) 
This quote follows immediately after Zil tried to drown Duck under his own pool. Right before he blacked out; Duck used his mutant powers in self-defense. Zil, got an injury from this.
Quote: "how were we supposed to know he was a mutant freak? we were just playing around. It's like anything we do now we have to be worried about whether someone is normal or some kind of freak"
Translation: dude, every time we try to strangle/ Murder someone we have to worry if he's a mutant freak! He might retaliate with his mutant powers! It's not fair that we should have people stopping us from doing bad things!
(You can tell I like this quote)
I simply cant explain to you how spot on these characters were. It was uncanny. Brilliant yet uncanny. A real page turner here people.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your review. The book sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete